The fruit cake is made with a dough base covered with some fruit such as: the apple. Currently there are many variants of this specific recipe that include a chopped apple, cut into segments or compote.
Apples can be placed directly on top of the dough or on the basis of some cream. There are variants where the dough wraps all the fruit or some where it is made backwards, that is, the fruit is placed first and then the dough is added on the fruit that is served by turning it, a cake very in the style of the French Tarte Tatin.
Ingredients puff pastry stuffed with apples
- A rectangular sheet of refrigerated puff pastry
- 2-3 medium apples
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of very cold butter
- 85 gr of honey
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
Preparation of apple-filled puff pastry
- We reheated the oven to 200 ºC. We lined a tray for tartlets with vegetable paper.
- To stretch the dough, which must be very cold, the first thing we must do is to flour the surface where we are going to spread the dough.
- With the help of a roller we extend until the mass is approximately 38 x 28 cm in size. We cut the edges until we get an almost perfect square.
- We place the dough in the previously lined mold, being very careful when transferring it, because it is a very delicate mass.
- Once in the mold we pierce it with the help of a fork and reserve.
- In a container we place the peeled, peeled and cut apples on very thin sheets. Add half of the sugar along with the cinnamon and stir them very well.
- Now we place the apples overlapping each other over the entire surface of the mold. Let us remember that just as we put them this way will be the final presentation.
- Finally sprinkle with the icing sugar and add a few small cubes of butter.
- We take the mold to the oven for 25 minutes or until we see that the puff pastry is golden and the apples are tender.
- After this time, we remove from the oven, and let it cool on a grid.
- After time, we remove the vegetable paper and let it cool again for a couple more minutes.
- As a last step and to give the cake more showiness, we heat the honey in a water bath or in the microwave for 30 seconds or until it has melted and varnish the surface of the cake.
For the employee
We cut the cake on a board into small portions and voila! you can accompany it with whipped cream, some strawberries or melted chocolate.
So that our apples do not rust after peeling them, we can add a splash of lemon.
This recipe is for an apple pie but, we can use pears, figs, raisins or any other fruit of your choice.
Nutritional information puff pastry stuffed with apples
For every 90 grs
Calories: 259 kcal
Protein: 2.48 g
Carbohydrates: 33.6 g
Sugar: 14.45 g
Fat: 13.08 g