Mousse is a dessert of French origin and whose French term ‘mousse’ means foam in Spanish. This podre first appears in 1755 in the recipe book ‘Les soupers de la cour’ by the French chef Menon.
The base of this dessert is the egg white which is mounted to the point of snow or the whipped milk cream that gives it that consistency as characteristic as fluffiness.
This soft and frothy cream is very versatile, since it can be served alone or used as a filling for a dessert.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Mousse
- 175 g of dark chocolate.
- 30 g of butter.
- 4 eggs.
- 80 g of sugar
- 1/2 cup milk cream
- 50 grs. drops of chocolate or nuts
- 50 grs. strawberries or raspberries to decorate
Preparation of the Chocolate Mousse
- We must melt the chocolate in a water bath. To do this, we put a pot on the fire and fill it with water halfway.
- Then in another pot or container resistant to heat and that is larger than the previous one we put the chocolate, butter and salt until we see that the chocolate is melted.
- We mix very well with the help of a spatula, remove from the heat and let it cool down a bit.
- Meanwhile, we beat the egg yolks and the vanilla extract and, once the previous preparation is warm, add the yolks and stir quickly and very well until integrated.
- Then, in a medium bowl and with the help of an electric mixer at intermediate speed, we beat the egg whites until they are frothy, usually that takes 1 to 2 minutes.
- After this time we add 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue beating until firm peaks form.
- In another bowl, and with the help of the mixer we put the milk cream and beat it until it mounts a little. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue beating until firm peaks form.
- With the help of a spatula or miserable we mix the beaten egg whites with the chocolate mixture in an enveloping way until everything is completely combined.
- Finally, we added the whipped cream to the previous mix .
For the armed:
- We put a little chocolate mousse in small containers and take it to the fridge for at least 2 hours to make it very firm.
- After the time we remove from the fridge and we can decorate with some chocolate chips or drops and some fresh raspberries or strawberries.
Nutritional information on the Chocolate Mousse
A portion of 100 grs. contains:
- Calories 160 kcal
- Carbohydrates 21.4 g
- Proteins 4.5 g
- Fat 5.9 g
- Sugars 20.7 g