Pakoras are a vegetable dish battered in a mixture of chickpea flour that is usually eaten in India and Pakistan as an appetizer, accompanied by some sauce or chutney.
To prepare this pakora with original flavor, it is necessary to combine it with the garam masala, a mixture of spices from India that is used to season meats, soups and vegetables.
Ingredients for battered vegetables (pakoras) with garam masala
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 potato or potato
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 onion
- 1 green paprika
- Spinach leaves to taste
- 150 grams of chickpea flour
- ½ tablespoon of powdered yeast
- 100 ml of water
For the Garam Masala:
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon of ground nail
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
Preparation of the battered vegetables (pakoras) with garam masala
- We peel and cut the potatoes into thin slices.
- Cut the pepper, zucchini and onion into fine joules.
- We break the cauliflower a bit in order to separate the flowers.
For the mix:
- We put in a bowl the spices of the garam masala, the chickpea flour, the baking powder, the coriander and the finely chopped spinach.
- We add the water and mix everything very well until obtaining a homogeneous and lump-free mixture.
- Heat a frying pan with plenty of oil.
- We pass the vegetables previously cut by the mixture and add the hot oil.
- Let brown on all sides and when removed from the pan we put them on absorbent paper.
For the armed:
- We can place these battered vegetables in a container and accompany it with a little Chutney, some hot sauce or our preference.
- If when making the mixture to coat the vegetables we notice that it is very thick we can add a little more water in such a way that it is more manageable.
- We can use any type of vegetable: cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots, among others.
- These vegetables can be served as part of an aperitif, as a companion for some meat or chicken, or combined with a little salad.
Nutritional information on battered vegetables (pakoras) with garam masala
A portion of 48 grams. contains:
- Calories: 57 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7.43 g
- Proteins: 2.19 g
- Fat: 2.2 g
- Sugars: 1.38 g